Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Swamped

It turns out I have to bust my ass this week or risk another delay. We have been using a teaching lab while my supervisor's new lab is under construction but, of course, it's not finished yet. After this week, everything is going into boxes until it's ready. That could take two weeks, or six. Nobody really knows. My university is a piece of crap. So I'm going to put in another 12 hours tomorrow, more if I can get past the insomnia and get up at a reasonable hour. Hopefully I will then be able to put in 8 on Thursday and 8 on Friday and finish before the long weekend. I had planned to take Friday off but that's not going to happen. That probably doesn't sound like a lot of hours but it's a long time to spend on your feet being exposed to various chemicals. Especially because I can't eat in the lab so I have to leave the building to find food. I have to carefully schedule bathroom breaks around my experiments too because I can't just leave in the middle of something. I had a panic attack when I found out that I can only access the analytical lab with my student card between 8 am and 9 pm. This was at 9.20 pm. Fortunately for me, there was a nice man on security who buzzed me in remotely from his desk. Huge sigh of relief (subsequent to a silent mini temper tantrum in the hallway when I only just refrained from bursting into tears).

This degree is the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm exhausted again today and barely coherent. I hope I'll be able to string a few words together on Thursday evening. Speaking of which, I haven't heard from Captain Wiggles today. I was disappointed to not see his name in my inbox when I got home. Hmm...

1 comment:

Alexandreena said...

Sounds like a lot of work- something I completely understand right now.

Take care of yourself!