Sunday, August 31, 2008

Premature ending?

Last night, I received an email from Captain W, the tone of which was substantially altered. He asked me to meet him for a coffee or beverage on Tuesday after work. I won't repeat his email. Suffice it to say that it was significantly different than his last which said that he would gladly kick Beyonce to the curb if that would keep away those rogues Brosnan and Firth. It was sweet. The most recent one was so formal as to be almost chilly. I said I was free on Tuesday but I tried to gently let him off the hook.

"Having said that [I am free Tuesday], email is a heck of a medium. I'm sensing from the altered tone of your email that you have something specific you'd like to say to me. So, using my wiley female intuition, I'm going to make the following small-ish leap. If you're considering ending our brief acquaintance on Tuesday and are planning on doing it in person, let me say that really isn't necessary. Dating etiquette states that you can do so over the phone or even email. MSN and post-it notes* are frowned upon, however. While I have been dumped most unexpectedly over MSN, I have never been left a post-it note. I do understand the motivation though. The remoteness of the action usually assuages the guilt of the dumper and makes it easier for the dumpee to rant and rave and throw things. Overall, it's much more difficult to behave with class when a break up happens in person. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. "


While I'm a touch grumpy, I think that has more to do with disgruntled exhaustion than heartbreak. I am disappointed but unsurprised. It's probably for the best, given our respective religious (dis)beliefs. I'm glad there was no physical involvement.

I think it's time to take down my online dating profile. Celibacy for the remainder of the year. I don't even want to call Grey for long weekend afternoon sex. I danced so hard and so long last night that I'm taking 400 mg Advil and spending the next 24 hours on the couch with the paper and Detective Murdoch.

*Sex and the City break-up reference.

No comments: