Saturday, April 5, 2008

Love schmove

Where are the men who write about romance and sing about love?
Maybe rappers aren't the best role models but they sure talk big. Papoose says

They say you never know what you have until you lose it
You promise your girl something you better do it
You can't tell a women you love her, are you stupid?
Words don't express your love you gotta prove it.

But where are the men that prove their love? Who don't take their relationship for granted? Who care about communication and connection?

I wonder what Grey is doing in Jamaica right now. I shouldn't torture myself but I don't know how else to kill the late nights. When I'm tired, the misery creeps out from around the corner and seeps into my soul. Is misery also an inherent character trait? Genetically encoded in my brain. Neurons misfiring so the serotonin and melanin just dissolve away into grey matter. So that I'm destined never to be happy, no matter how hard I work for it.

I look around at my friends and see relationships fizzling into nothing because they don't realize how hard it is to be completely alone. Or worse, relationships being sabotaged, partners being alienated, connections being destroyed. Misery and sadness lurk around the corner like silent, sardonic irony.

No comments: