Friday, May 23, 2008

Warning

When I was little, I performed Jenny Joseph's poem, "When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple". I won a prize*. I imagine much of the appeal was having the poem recited by a precocious eleven year old in a school uniform.

When I was in my early 20s, I used to say often that I would rather be old and wise than young and stupid. I still feel that way. And I think I'm getting there. Sort of like cheese. Or wine. Or Scotch.

Today, I decided that I will celebrate my 40th birthday this year and for the next 9 years until I actually turn 40. Then I'll pick another great number.

*I also won a prize for Charles Causley's "Colonel Fazackerley Butterworth Toast".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on winning the poetry slam. By way of contrast, I spent most of my early-teen school days in detention hall for being in the wrong places at the wrong times.

It's ok to be young and foolish. Sad and wise happens too soon. Don't go wishing your life away.

Anonymous said...

Damn, Asshat, that's pr't'near profound. The "old" happens soon enough, too, it seems.

Our friend Mo might also consider a compromise. How about young and wise? A precocious 11 maybe? Or even a precocious 31 for that matter.

I'm not certain this is significant, but I'm wearing a purple shirt today. Does this say something about me, like that I may be getting dotty from old age? Mo has already pointed out another awkward trait of my demographic: We're the easiest to manipulate and the least aware that it's happening.

Anyway, enjoy your w/e, Mo. Is it friends-with-benfits Friday?

Anonymous said...

Ernest, old women can wear purple and red hats and people think that they're charmingly eccentric. Old men are never that charming. They're crotchety geezers. You'll know you've reached that point when you find yourself leaning out the front door to yell, "you kids get off my grass." You'll know you're way past the tipping point when you open the front door to get the kids off your grass and then suddenly realize that you've since moved to a high rise.