Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I still got it

I went to a gala tonight. It was a lot of fun. There's money in that community and it showed tonight. The live auction was insane. There were so many items in the silent auction that it blew my mind. The food was good. I ran into my old boss from 10 years ago. He recognized me but couldn't place me until I told him my name. He was pleased to see me. I didn't like working for him but his reaction to me was gratifying. I gave him my business card.

There was a guy at my table that I will probably never see again. He was rugged good looking. His name was Mike and he works for a land development company. Golf courses. He had a wicked sunburn and his finger nails looked like he does more than his fair share of manual labour. He has a new puppy. A border collie. He has no tan lines on his left ring finger. No wedding ring. He helped me help myself to one of the very large pine cones on the table. He looked at me the same way that Grey looked at me the second time I saw him. The first time that we fooled around. When I cheated on B.

The thing is, I could have asked for his business card. I could have been bold but I wasn't. I just enjoyed the eye contact, the missed glances, the bold stares that I caught out of the corner of my eye. The firm handshake at the end of the night. His friend has my business card. If he wants to find me, he will. But I don't care either way. Because it was just nice to be looked at that way again.

No comments: