Sunday, March 8, 2009

Trampled by elephants

C le V called this morning. We talked for precisely 2 minutes and 3 seconds before his phone crapped out. I waited a few minutes for him to call back and then tried calling him. It went straight to voice mail.

A's conclusion: he must call back by the end of the day and have a reasonable excuse for not calling back within a few hours. Such as being trampled by elephants.

I'm going to attempt to do some work now. I'm going to eat a bagel for motivation. A real bagel from Montreal. Not one of these. Heaven forbid.

1.34 pm update: Phoned again from the gym and talked for 50 seconds. Sent text message saying phone is on death bed and will call from home. Bagel is yummy. Dreading phone call somewhat. Trying to accomplish work frantically before having heart broken later this afternoon.

3.39 pm update: I am apparently neurotic and needy. He was just busy this week with all the post-vacation errata. He was telling me about his weekend and I asked him if he missed me at all. He said of course he missed me and why would I ask? Because he hasn't called me sweetheart in ages. He said he was sorry, sweetheart. He said he would call again this evening. Hmm, we'll see. Statistically significant lowered expectations.

11.31 pm update: He did call and we talked for around half an hour. It was nice, as always but this time I felt that I was being distant and guarded. When we were saying our goodbyes, I said "have a good week" and he asked if we weren't going to talk this week. The question caught me off guard because, in my state of significantly lowered expectations, I assumed that I would likely not hear from him. I stuttered an, "I... I... oh... I... I don't know, but that would be nice!". He laughed and called me by his nickname for me. Not sweetheart but something, anyway.

How did I get here?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had some good advice for you here. I mean, the biggest thing is simply to not over-think it. But as one who over-thinks all the time, I know that's so much easier said than done...