Saturday, March 14, 2009

Alone tonight... and every night

I am very cognizant that I am alone in the Universe. I have a busy social life and work life so I am not left alone very often, except when I'm at home in the evenings. Even then, I spend a lot of time on the phone talking to various girlfriends. But sometimes I am reminded just how alone I am. Like now. It's Saturday night and I'm home. I was supposed to go out this evening with an old family friend I barely know. He invited me to his girlfriend's birthday dinner. I didn't end up going. Because I'm exhausted, unwilling to make small talk with strangers for a couple of hours and reluctant to show up and leave on my own.

Last night, my friend left me alone to get a drink at the bar. She wouldn't let me go with her. I think because she had some strange notion that I would get hit on if I was standing there alone. I didn't. All the guys that had previously been flitting around us (she's tall and skinny and pretty) left when she did. So there I was, standing on the dance floor in a club in the busiest city in Canada on Friday night, alone. And I was very aware of it.

4 comments:

Awkward, for you said...

you weren't at the Guvernment were you? There was some crazy shooting or something. I know how you feel about being the less sexy of a pair. I had to baby sit my one friend because she would get hit on all the time. It's awkward.

Ms Behaviour said...

No I wasn't! I didn't hear about that. We were at the Brant House and both King Street and University were blocked off to traffic all night long. We couldn't figure out what had happened. I don't think I have ever been to Guverment, even though I live up the street. I think I will keep it that way!

Awkward, for you said...

ya i've never been to the Guvernment either. I don't really have an interest in going to any of the clubs in Toronto. I'm more of a bar girl.

Anonymous said...

If I'd a been there, I would'a stayed to flirt with you. Promise. :)

(Of course, the fact that hell would have also frozen over because I went into a club is a slight downside...)