Monday, November 3, 2008

Happy birthday me!

I was going to reply to GH's previous comment but I decided this thought merited a post.

It has taken me years to get to my present mental state. The two hardest lessons I have learned as a single, independent woman are:

1. Don't give a crap what most people think. It's a total waste of time. Just let it go. I was fortunate enough to get a ticket when the Dalai Lama visited Vancouver and his presence was phenomenal. I learned that emotions and feelings are normal and natural. What we choose to do with them, however, is completely within our own control. Therefore, in order to control your actions, you must accept your emotions, acknowledge them and understand them before you can let them go. As a corollary to this, I have also learned that we are often our own harshest critic and most damning judge. It's a lot less effort to be less hard on yourself.

2. Happiness is intertwined with my outlook on life. Okay, that was inside a fortune cookie I got many years ago. But I have learned that happiness is as simple as a conscious decision to just be happy. It was a difficult lesson to learn and I really resisted it in the beginning. And that's not to say I'm happy all the time. Clearly if you read my blog, you will know that isn't the case. But overall, I am happier now than I was in 2004. Back then, I didn't even know I wasn't happy.

Finally, on a somewhat unrelated note, to my dear American friends, it is officially my birthday. I don't ask for much. In fact, normally I ask for nothing. But this year, I would really like a Democrat in the White House. I'm too hungover and tired to articulate my reasons. Is it enough to say that gut instinct tells me this is what North America needs right now? Can I just ask for that because it would make me happy?

5 comments:

Alexandreena said...

Happy birthday! I second your wish!

Anonymous said...

Yep, happy birthday. I think you'll get your present from Uncle Sam tomorrow. I'm prepared to stand in line at the polls to see that you get it.

In 2004, my little Democratic precinct had lines out the door and people went away frustrated, unable to wait to vote. Not enough voting machines, they said. In the posh Republican suburbs, there were no delays at all. This year they may have a harder time stealing this election, I hope.

Anonymous said...

I think I have a post coming up that will give you some insight into the way I feel right now... more so than a comment would, at least.

As for the voting... hey, don't tell me what to do! ;) But I don't think you'll have to worry about what direction my or CA's vote will be going in...

Anonymous said...

Oh, and, since I completely forgot to add it on the previous comment: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Victoria said...

Happy Birthday! :D