Saturday, March 29, 2008

High

I spent the night at Grey's last night. It was late so we didn't have quite as much sex as last weekend. But we made up for that this morning. I think I even slept a couple of hours in between.

I was out with friends last night and really didn't expect to see him. It had been a long day in the lab and, when I got home, there were no missed calls and no plans. So I called my friend, Baby, and it turned out that she and her husband wanted to go out downtown. So we decided to meet in this little Chinese place called Swatow on Spadina and then perhaps go out for a drink afterwards. I called and left a message with Grey fully expecting that he would decline. Which he did. But his text said "maybe later" and I thought, at the time, he meant "next time" as opposed to later that night.

The food at Swatow is so good and the service is super friendly. It's a tiny little place so we had to share a table with two strangers but it was worth it. I have a craving for Chinese at least once a week and there was no food leftover at the end. My sweater smells like Chinese food. Or maybe that's my jeans. After that, we walked over to the clubbing neighbourhood and had a few drinks. Baby's husband, Delorean, is funny. Sometimes I wish he would grow up and be a man but he does know how to have a good time. We were joined after that by another friend. She's an old friend from university but I'm drifting away from her. She can't stand her husband despite their only being married for a year. She is always complaining about something and I find that annoying.

Anyway, she came by and Delorean said he wanted to go dancing. So I took them to the Brant House where they were playing early 90s hip hop and he really had a good time. By that point I was on my fourth drink and feeling more than a little nauseous. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to mix. Beer with dinner. My special martini followed by a Caramel Kiss (Bailey's, milk, caramel syrup) at Milestone's. Then a Crown Royale and ginger ale (or a gennaro ginger for those in the know). I was officially drunk after that. We danced for an hour and left shortly after 1. I got a text from Grey as soon as I got in the to go cab home. "You still up?" which is secret code for "this is a booty call". When I called him back, he changed his mind and decided to stay with his friends. So I hung up and texted him "You're such a tease. I'll have to go home and get the toys out." It totally worked. He called back immediately and told me to come get him. I probably shouldn't have been driving but I was really happy to see him.

I'm so happy right now I feel like I'm high. He made filet mignon and home fries for breakfast. Not gourmet but I won't ever complain about his cooking. He was his usual jackass self at breakfast but I think I pushed back enough without being a complete bitch. I told him that, if I cared what he thought of me, I'd have been gone months ago. I'm not sure if he agreed with me and he's right not to. I do care what he thinks, to a certain extent. He did admit that he likes to push people's buttons which makes it easier to brush off his asinine judgments. I wonder if that's an inferiority complex from not going to university.

He is capable of being sweet sometimes. When he threw his bottle cap at me and it hit me square on the nose, he walked over and kissed it better. I don't appreciate the negativity followed by an apology. It's immature and would drive me up the wall very quickly. But there has to be a reason for it. I'm not sure why he chooses breakfast to be so antagonistic. Maybe it's the way he was raised. Four boys around the kitchen table. I can totally picture it. So maybe he does think well of me but it goes against the grain to admit it. Even if he does think he's better than me, I know I can't change the way he feels. But I can at least conduct myself with enough self-respect and dignity, combined with my usual ball-breaking "I could give a rats ass what you think" attitude, that he can learn to respect me.

Listen to me talking like this is going somewhere. Two Friday nights in a row do not a relationship make. He does make me smile though.

No comments: