Sunday, February 8, 2009

Weekend recap

Two and a half years I've lived in this apartment. When I moved in, I didn't bother taking a bunch of crap down to my storage locker. I kept a microwave, bar fridge, two boxes of undergrad course notes and my rolling toolbox full of work equipment up in the apartment. I gave notice last weekend they're going to start showing the place. First appointment is at noon tomorrow. I've stashed all my valuables - not that many and not that valuable - and spent the entire day purging and cleaning and organizing. I broke my shredder. Well technically it's not broken. When I turn it on and feed a sheet of paper into it, the motor starts and revs like a souped up toy car. It's weird! I bought it at Costco so I'm hoping that I can take it back to get it fixed. My pile of bills and stuff to be shredded this time around is much smaller though. I still have a massive pile of laundry to put away but I'm sort of avoiding it. It's been there at least a week. I rummage around in the bottom of the basket every morning to find socks and underwear. My goal was to have it folded and put away before I go to bed but I might just cover it up and ignore it for another week.

The place actually looks pretty decent now and I realize that I have way too much space for little me. I'm hoping to downsize and save around $400 a month which will go towards gas and food once I start back at work full time. In a totally bonehead move, I dropped my credit card when I bought gas after the company event last night. I didn't even realize until the CIBC fraud people called me this evening. Somebody had been using it all day. When the guy called, I was like, "oh no, I haven't lost it, it's right here in my... no not in my purse it must be in my jacket... oh... crap!" He must have thought I was a retard. I'm not sure how I managed to drop it but it was cold and wet and I was all decked out in a sari and open toed shoes. My friend offered to pump gas for me but I declined. Duh.

Anyway, the event was fun. I wasn't going to blog about it because it sort of opens the door to figuring out where I work. But then I realized that only 4 people read this blog and I'm sure you guys don't care :) The theme was a masquerade ball and I scored a couple of really cool masks. Should I post a photo of me in a mask? It matched my sari and that was a big hit again this year. I was almost sparkly! When I was in India, I bought a lime green georgette silk sari. I can't wait to wear it next year. I ended up having a good time, probably because I didn't have any real expectations. Just dread. The real highlight for me (which is going to make me sound like a total brown noser) was when the company president remembered me three years after I left his home office in BC. It felt pretty good when he told me that I'm welcome back any time after I'm done school because they were very happy with me there.

Some other notables: a guy in my group said "hey I didn't recognize you because you look so good!" Apparently he has trouble understanding appropriate. It was also nice that I knew more people this year compared to the last two years. I felt more comfortable mingling after dinner which I didn't think I would do at all. I also introduced myself to a woman who is the wife of someone senior in another group. She was wearing a beautiful turquoise sari and I felt I had to talk to her. She said she was uncomfortable at first because she's white (does anyone care anymore?) but she looked absolutely fabulous. She's tall and slender and the fabric draped beautifully around her. She told me she had traveled in India last summer and was totally captivated by the colours and fabrics. Me too!

Okay, I should go to bed. I am writing a long letter to C le V and am attempting to write a page a day in the morning before I start my day. Maybe that's lame, and maybe I won't mail it. But it gives me a sense of focus and purpose when I wake up and I look forward to it as much as I have enjoyed getting email from him every day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that I should come across this post just at the time when I'm wondering if I should move...

Ms Behaviour said...

Are you moving here? I have a great apartment that's available April 1 ;)

Anonymous said...

Want to rent it out for a weekend? I think I'm invited to go up there at the end of March.

Ms Behaviour said...

Okay. Does this mean I get to meet my Asshat or do we have to be all cloak and dagger about it?

Anonymous said...

You never know. But I'll stay wrapped in my dark cloak of anonymity at least until I know whether I'm going.

I wonder if I need a passport to get into Canada these days. Last summer they let me in with just a driver's license. I better look into that.